Friday, April 18, 2008

West Asheville Walk-In Theatre 2008!

OK, Friends, its that time again. The good folks of Orbit DVD and the Bledsoe Building and whoever else organizes this thing have started the Walk-In Movies for this season! What does this have to do with my life in cake, you may ask? Well, Short Street Cakes sells cupcakes at the walk-in theatre, that's what. Which basically means: free bar nite for Jodi, yummy cupcakes for you. Exhibit A:

This photo features the rare cupcake-selling cameo of my husband and son! But anyway, anybody that buys me a makers on the rocks gets free cupcakes. A little background for those of you who may not know what I am talking about, the Walk-Ins are behind the Bledsoe (pub, coop, orbit building) in West A. Once a month the parking lot is closed off and a film is projected onto the side of a building, and folks can bring their blankets (but not their dogs, or their coolers) and hang out and watch a movie. You can buy popcorn and beer and cupcakes. This year, its happening on the SECOND FRIDAY of every month. So for April, it was Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was fun except that we had to stop halfway through because of the rain. But don't be discouraged! The possibility of the walk-ins getting rained out just adds that extra element of excitement to the whole thing. Anyway, without further ado, I will introduce to you the lineup for 2008, which is really, really exciting to me:
May 9: The Gods Must Be Crazy
June 13: Repo Man
July 11: Golden Blade III
August 8: Babe
September 12: Double Feature! Reefer Madness and Spinal Tap! Hell Yeah!
Come see me. Buy a cupcake.
xo
jodi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J,
Congratulations! Rave reviews (and that's mostly on your cupcakes), when they meet you, you put the icing on the cake...in every sense of the word! My mouth is watering and I'm not really a "cake fan". Although, I would make a 3 plus hours drive to sample and visit.
My goodness things are coming up roses for Short St. Any news of a location? The movie night thing sounds like the perfect opportunity to leave 'em wanting more.
i thought I'd drop you a line, and ask for suggestions for Sawyer's birthday this Sunday. We're members of a CSA, and have been getting strawberries, and if there are any in this weeks pickup, i was wondering if you've experimented with Strawberry Rhubarb? Otherwise, cupcakes are my goal, and am open to a variety of options. If we were closer, I'd pick 'em up or help you bake them myself! Thank you Jodi. Both you and your cakes look beautiful.
Lovin' to you,
Erin

Jodi Rhoden- Short Street Cakes said...

hey sweet lady! I'll look for some rhubarb recipes. Happy Birthday to Sawyer! Love to you!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog. I live in the Atlanta area and come to Asheville to vacation a lot. I DREAM about living there but cannot due to my husband's job. Love your blog. I WILL make it to your shop next visit.
I find your top picks list for Asheville so exciting and helpful. Can you add any of the following to it? Maybe do a fun updated repost with new additions?
1. Best U pick farms
(any with lovely views or organic?)
2. Best Gem mining--- I know this might not be in Asheville, but closest one nearby.
3. Best hikes with kids (young kids--- 2 and 4!!)
4. Best place to buy pottery
5. Best anything list to do with kids.
Sorry, that was a lot!!!! Thanks. I'll be dreaming of your sweets and cupcakes. I'm a comin' again. See you in July!