Sunday, December 28, 2008

We interrupt this cake blog to bring you: Christmas.

Or: The Story of the Twenty-Two Pound Turkey and the Benevolent Witches who Cooked It.

Or: A Very Porky Christmas.


Candice, showing the stuffed mushrooms who's boss.

A very pretty stuffed turkey, accompanied by an even lovelier Lexish (notice the Mountain Chic Look: Layers of evening wear, high heels, an apron, and a down vest. Nobody rocks Mountain Chic like Lexish.)


It has been our tradition in the last few years to stay home for Christmas. Its a special thing, establishing our own rhythm for the holidays and creating new traditions that are different from those of our families of origin. The last few years its been Orphan Christmas: bonfires and bottles of beverages and whatever friends who are in town hanging out and creating a huge meal. But this year, it was beyond orphan: it was magic. Everybody pitched in and made the Biggest Christmas Dinner ever. And EVERYTHING had pork in it (due to it having been made by a bunch of reformed vegetarians)
Observe:
-22 pound turkey with sausage and sweet potato stuffing (courtesy of Yours Truly)
-pork loin a la Lexi
-homemade Sourdough bread (made from the West End Bakery sourdough starter/mother which I made when I worked there in 2001)
- Patti LaBelle's Over The Rainbow Glistening Mac 'N' Cheese a la Lexi
-Old Skool Green Beans (saved only from being bacony by insistence of the lone non-reformed vegetarian, Darcy)
-Ridiculously good Cranberry Pineapple Delight (thanks Nance!)
-Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms a la Candice
-a collection of bread-and-cheese appetizers, drizzled with basil-infused olive oil and served with Summer Sausage
-Apple Pie (courtesy of the leftover bounty of my mom's annual Caroling Party)
-and, of course, cake, a la Short Street. (it was Hummingbird)
We ate and ate and ate. There was a bonfire. Oh, and Smores! Jasper's buddy B was there, along with his parents and baby brother (our new-ish and totally delightful neighbors). And other than the 2 daddies, all other guests in attendance were strong and powerful ladies: Short Street Cakes' Best Girl, Inner Circle Dweller, and Accounting Advisor Lexish, Ursie, Frieda, Darcy, the new neighbor/mama/friend, and my new friend Candice (plug time: Candice is the owner of Athen's GA's Urban Sanctuary Spa.)
The Diva Energy was high, and it took me a while to let go and realize how busy I've been, and how long it would actually take me to unwind and be present for my family and friends, but, 4 days later, the turkey stock is simmering on the stove, the leftovers are almost gone, the house is clean and cozy and I am almost ready to return to work. I didn't get to the household projects I wanted to finish, but there's always next weekend. Today is my last hurrah before diving back into cakeland full force: I'm going to see a movie with my husband and son this afternoon before they leave to visit family North and South for the next few days. And I can safely say that this has been the happiest Pagan-Jewish-Southern Christmas EVER. I know that the cake shop has been dark for a few days, and I'm sorry for that, but I assure you, your cakes will be tastier and more lovingly made, and your shop will be more fun and creative now that I have had a holiday. A sane and happy Cake Lady means a happier and more prosperous Cake Shop, I feel sure. Thanks for all the love- 2008 was great! Lets shine, be kind, look fine, and unwind in 2009. Peace and blessings to all of you in the coming year.
xo
jodi
PS: this is our picture for our New Year's card this year (which may or may not get sent out by New Year's):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, the over the rainbow. damn. i've learned that anything with patti labelle before it is delicious - the sweet potatoes, the breads... I LOVE YOU PATTI!! feliz a~o nuevo jodi!