Saturday, September 10, 2011

Today, In Cake.

First, let me say, Happy Birthday to Jasper!
I am so incredibly lucky to be the mom of such a thoughtful, loving, curious, and fun creature as my son Jasper. We had a great birthday party yesterday with friends and family at the fair! I love you, Jasper. I'm so happy that, for the rest of my life, even when you are grown, these earliest of fall days, when the leaves are still green and the sky is still blue and the first sharp cool breezes of autumn come in, will remind me, first and foremost, of you, your sweetness, and your birthday. Ahem. And, in other news, I have so much to tell you about the Cake Shop! First: The Shelves.
We now have these awesome shelves, built by my dear friend Peter Parpan!
We've been putting things on them, to sell! Like these Short Street Cakes T-Shirts, that my friend Tubbs printed up so excellently! We're selling them in Ladies, Youth and Mens Sizes, for $15 each.
We're also putting Hannah Dansie's artwork and magnets, and when my Cake Ladies book is out in just a few short weeks, we'll have those on the shelves, too. And here's a little photo essay I did today of the most recent rearrangement of furniture in the Shop, along with bonus shots of Anna and Lucy ruling:
And one more announcement: NEW MENU DROPS ON TUESDAY.
AND: I love you forever, dedicated cake ladies, Emilou, Anna, Lucy, and Hannah (not pictured)! (And I've got a lot of love for the newbies too)
And: One more thing. I just went by Push Gallery to see the group art show that my friend Ursula Gullow put together. And I think it is amazing. Tara Jensen, Anna Jensen, Lauren Whitley, Courtney Chappell, Lisa Nance, and others explore the layers of process behind making art. Here is a shot of Ursula's work, a collection of small, contiguous canvases with drawings on the wall connecting the narrative:
I don't hesitate or exaggerate when I say that art saves lives, makes lives richer, and often makes life worth living. And speaking of art, here's Lucy and Anna executing their creative inspiration in the form of cake, today:
I know I say it again and again, but it bears saying another time: I am so grateful for the Cake Shop, and the ladies therein. Together we are doing something that is greater than the sum of its parts. And I guess, also, what I'm really trying to say is that I had a good day at work today.

No comments: